Author Topic: PAULRIDES Jan 31, 2018 - Loop Harriman and Oliver Springs (stop at K25 Overlook  (Read 202 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Mother Nature and Mother Betty (wife) have been winning lately as I have not been riding.

I made a comeback win today after noon when Mother Nature slacked up and Mother Betty had plans to help with a church meal thing. So, we both did the gym and I met her at Food City for a few minutes before I had lunch at Taco Bell and hit the road about 12:10PM.

Sort of a No-Plan Ride went something like this.

First stop ended up at Harley Maryville for a coffee and bathroom break. Then the worst part of the trip dealing with Hwy 321 over the new bridge (still a lot of other construction going on there) and then the miserable trip on out Hwy 321 from Lenoir City. That is a stretch of traffic with business and pull outs (good thing they don't also have tourists to deal with).   

I went by the overlook for K-25 (bit of history there and been years since I stopped for a look and history refresher). Certainly a lot of changes as they have torn down all the buildings and added a lot of new (Technical Science Campus now).

Decided to ride on over to Harriman for a stop at the Hyosung MC Dealer (been a long time since I stopped there also). Has several NEW (back to 2010 and 2011 models) on the floor at UNBELIEVABLE low prices.
They are not bad looking MCs.  I have ridden one or two (cruisers and dual sports) in the past and they are a pretty good ride. I guess people are just scared of the name (or quality). Understand engine is a design form Suzuki (at least on the 650s). Check the pictures for looks and price. It's tempting.

BTW, ARE THEY STILL IN PRODUCTION? Did some looking on U-Tube (basically good reviews and more used in other countries).

Decided to come back via Oliver Springs, Dutch Valley, Oak Ridge, past Bull Run and finally onto I-75 at the Merchants exit for a run thru Knoxville to the LIZZARD and home.

PICTURE Story
Temperature shortly after depart -- not bad at 45F

Guess who has FREE Coffee and a bathroom (but no IAN on duty).

Still pretty crossing the area of the lake and dam (despite the construction).

The old green bridge at the dam is gone.

Finally made it thru Lenoir City Hwy 321 area (pain, remind me to bypass doing that again) to decent ride road (Hwy 95 is just a nice sweeper curve road that needs a higher speed limit).

The Overlook of the old Oak Ridge Secret City (K-25) and the history inside.

Certainly looks different than the last time I was there when they were still dismantling the radioactive buildings, etc.

And a whole lot different than before the government decided to take the folks property for the war effort.

The town there then was named Wheat, TN

A few more history pictures affected by reflections and camera flash--- perhaps you can get the meaning.

The finished K-25 building was the worlds largest production building.

Another first was the world's first research reactor (used to prove could make plutonium out of uranium). Pictures had a lot of reflection from the windows behind me.

At least the picture of the reactor came out good. Upper right is the reactor and the lower middle shows workers placing rods in the reactor. Duke and I did a tour of the science center one time years ago, and took the bus tour which included a presentation at the reactor (very interesting science update).

Moving on to Kingston (McD for a bathroom and a parfait) by a round about route and then a couple miles of I-40 to Hwy 29 into Harriman, TN.

Probably, the healthiest thing at McD (Yogurt and fruit).

The Hyosung Dealer became a destination once I got close to Harriman (had not been there in years).  Not doing much better than when I was there several years ago.

The older part of Harriman as seen from the old bridge (south and below the new Hwy 27 bridge).

This price is for the bike in the next picture. I could use that -- said without sitting on it.

Except for being old (model year) -- how could you go wrong (650CC and good looking) for $4050.

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
PICTURE Story con't for WED Ride

There were several Hyosung cruisers (also old new models).
Price here is the first one in the two bike picture. The second bike is priced after the picture of the bikes.

This price is for the second one in picture above. I normally don't care for big flared fenders, but I like that bike look.

I went north on Hwy 27 out of Harriman  to take a backroad and had to wait for a pretty long train at the right turn.

A few scenes on the backroads over to Oliver Springs.

Oliver Springs History Building in progress. The policeman saw me waiting for traffic to clear and held it up for me to take the picture. 

Neat lead glass of the Old Resort Hotel (dated back to 1900) over the doorway.

Apparently, there was a garage here at one time.

A few streets in Oliver Springs show that at one time it was thriving community (nice old homes and I like the church). And, part of another home on the right.

One more home viewed thru the backyard as I rode by.

The rest of the ride home --- headed out Dutch Valley and cut south to Oak Ridge, Bull Run, etc.

Two Churches -- no, just one with two steeples.

Kind of blurred this picture of Bull Run stacks (thought the cloud going to the side was interesting - is that a new stack).

Close to home here at 4:57PM  -- highest temperature I saw all day at 57F. Had mostly 52F to 55F. Kind of blurred the picture, so I lettered in the numbers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:24:35 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
HYOSUNG  U-Tube

Then there is some Crazy Dumb Riders (my opinion). You have to skip up to the traffic jam to see scary stuff (about 2:30)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:55:29 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Glad you got to ride. I haven't been on my bike for over a week.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Nice ride Paul.I got to ride to work last week is all for me. congrats on getting a ride in.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Did you watch the Video with the traffic jam?

Slide up about 1/2 way thru it or the traffic jam actually starts about 2:30 on timer.

I kept waiting for a crash all the way thru.  :banghead