Author Topic: PAULRIDES FEB 09 - Last Ride for a few days was Newfound Gap to search Snow  (Read 145 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Messed around til near 11 AM before I left home (partly waiting for warm weather and partly just messing around).

Not wanting to head up Newfound Gap too early (wait for more warmth), I went by the Flea Market to restock a couple snacks (couple was all cause got there and realized I only had $2 in cash). Stopped by Mtn Mtr Sport to kill a bit more time. 

No one responded to ride idea and take advantage of a BOGO Lunch, so I burnt a Burger King coupon.

Then back roads to Harley for a bathroom & coffee break before heading up the MTN at 2PM.  Pretty nice ride up and down, caught some traffic but it was moving pretty good.

Cut off the bypass and took the road that is south of Gatlinburg up in the fire damaged area (wanted to see what new construction has been done). Took a couple pictures on that route.

That pretty well covers the ride other than I finally took a character road for the last few mile before getting home. Surely, like to do at least one Character Road on a ride, otherwise why go on a ride at all.

PICTURE Story

Also, besides Character Roads, have to have a country scene.

Chimney Peaks where the fire started.

Started picking up some snow (and traffic) just south of the Pig Tail. Only real accumulations left are in the shade and areas where they had it plowed up (parking lots and edge of the road). About waht I expected, so not as much beauty as some trips. The first shaded area with snow.

There are three shaded areas near the peak of the gap on TN side that are the last places with snow and ice (hanging ice). And generally you will find some wet on the road from run off of melting snow (and some dirty gravel to kick up your bike). Big Guy Bikers with pretty shinny bikes might not want to go. :-)  

Parking lot was in good shape also.

Might as well take a few more pictures while up there and I did (can you imagine).

Today's picture -- sort of looking the same direction (can you see the road down there in NC?).

I rode a bit further south into NC to the first view area parking lot and made this panorama.

Interesting conversion Van -- License plate said "Adventurer".  From what I could see without being too nosey -- the bed is elevated with a lot of storage area under it. He was sitting up in the bed I think reading. Not much sun coming in the back doors, later he had turned Van around and was siting in drivers seat with sunshine and still reading.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
PICTURE Story

Clingman Dome Rd is closed, Bet it would be a good place to do some sledding.

Another of those shaded areas -- there are 3 if I remember.

A couple views of Gatlinburg from the overlooks. Second one is telephoto'ed in a bit. 

These taken from the road that is south of Gatlinburg up in the Mtn Area where the fires did some damage. There are several rebuilds in progress -- couple of pictures of that.

They have not started any rebuild on this one -- all that is left is the foundation (after clean up).

Anyway, that road brings you out at the Aquarium -- so, I headed north on Hwy 441 toward pigeon Forge and another bathroom / coffee break at Harley (about 4:15PM). Actually, there were two magazines that I wanted a copy of and DANG if I did not walk out without them. One had a story about Draik (MC Racer whose family use to be involved with East TN Bikers when he was a young boy). The article talked about his Pro-Racing success and being invited to Spain for a race.
Leaving Gatlinburg.

Character Roads -- Apparently, most MC Guys don't like 'em. GROAN Not much else to say, except I blurred a couple pictures but you get the idea.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Looks like a nice ride
Semper Fi