Author Topic: Destination between now and July 8, 2018 -- East TN History Museum (Sgt York)  (Read 303 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
The museum is on Gay Street near the TN Theater. I read in the Knoxville Focus that the special display (besides the normal museum displays) is regarding Sgt York. The exhibition produced by the American Military Experience should be interesting.

The rest of the museum is worth a trip without this special exhibit. Fees are reasonable and FREE on Sunday. 

I plan to do it some Sunday. I don't have a plans at present. I just wanted to let all know in case there is an interest.

There may be a web site (GOOGLE East TN History Museum) with more information than I provided above as I did not clip the complete article (I only wanted a reminder for dates, etc.). 

Found This
http://www.easttnhistory.org/SgtYork 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:22:45 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Pretty sure the Movie with Gary Cooper as Sgt York is to be shown Sunday at 2PM at the East TN Museum as part of the Sgt York exhibit.  FREE

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Yes.  I went to see the York exhibit and it's pretty good.  York is very much a hero to me as he was for my father's generation.  But, I personally think how he handled his fame, and what he tried to use it for make him a bigger hero than his battlefield exploits, extraordinary as they were.  He was a pretty smart, if sadly uneducated, man and his realization of the limitations of his Tennessee upbringing and culture lie at the heart of his efforts after the war.  A great Tennessean that I would wish more people know about.

I also went to the lecture last weekend which was superb.   Dr. Michael S. Neiberg of the National War College presented.  His lecture was on "The Path to War" and was excellent.  He approached the question of how we ended up in WW1 from primarily a social perspective as opposed to the more convention "top-down" military and governmental perspective.  I found his argument that public feeling drove us to war rather than the more conventional view that Wilson decided after the outrages of submarine warfare to commit us to war very persuasive.  Dr. Neiberg's book on the subject is just coming out and so we got a preview of coming attractions so to speak.   Good guy, knew his stuff...I'll be buying that book for sure.

The next presentation this Sunday will be a showing of the 1941 classic movie "Sergeant York" starring Gary Cooper and commentary by an authority on York, the curator of his papers.  Show up early as the lecture last Sunday had twice as many people show up as expected.  I got there 30 minutes early and had my choice of seats but this Sunday's event will probably be a bigger draw.  I plan on being there when the ETHS museum opens it's doors.  If you plan on attending let me know and I'll save you a seat.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I plan to ride and go.

Decision as to when is a bit in the air as our son and his wife are visiting and will be leaving for home (GA -- about 5 1/2 hour trip)I am not sure when they plan to leave.

There is some possibility they will stop by the museum on the way out of town (they don't seem overly enthused about that). They would likely not stay very long as they have the drive home from there.

Anyway, surely I will see you there and it sounds like I need to get there early. I assume they open at noon (need to check that).     

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I see museum does not open until 1:00 PM on Sunday and discovered this link --

Watch the movie on computer. 

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
I see museum does not open until 1:00 PM on Sunday and discovered this link --

Watch the movie on computer. 

I'll be there with my friend Debby Remmers.  If I get seated before you I'll save you a seat.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I did come (got in auditorium about 2PM --- about time the speaker came on to discuss the movie). Enjoyed the speaker info and saw him in lobby (asked him a couple questions).

Saw you up front.

I did not stay for the movie as saw part of it on the East TN Museum site and will watch the rest.

Instead, I toured the exhibit and left about 3:30PM for a short Scooter Ride. (see ride reports on pictures I took in Exhibit area when I get that posted).