Author Topic: Tech 3 and Yamaha parting ways after this MotoGP season.  (Read 190 times)

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
Tech 3 and Yamaha parting ways after this MotoGP season.
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:33:43 am »
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motogp.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2F2018%2F02%2F22%2Ftech-3-and-yamaha-to-part-ways-in-2019%2F250422&h=ATOT3VCUu9ZYNEz5Iau0tO5XOGwnFWRSrjRE2X9_0mshSYdTQvrp4f7Pgfb03xVHMZ07rw-hvnnHXoo0kWS4lkYSfZFPKy32JVlvhxDQ5lojfbZDiQj3LZ8hjuOXHtAydGUBUvH1I9nu&s=1

This could be interesting, after 20 years Tech 3 will not be a Yamaha satellite team.   If they got a better offer then you would think it would be to run a factory team,  with Kawasaki's recent success in WSBK I hope they are planning a return to MotoGp, and with Triumph supplying the motors for Moto2 they could possibly be eyeing a MotoGp program.

I think a large portion of it is the uncertainty of Rossi's eventual retirement as he has stated he wants to run his own team when he does and Yamaha made it clear that they would support him.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:35:57 am by LuckyPuck »
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: Tech 3 and Yamaha parting ways after this MotoGP season.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:38 am »
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motogp.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2F2018%2F02%2F22%2Ftech-3-and-yamaha-to-part-ways-in-2019%2F250422&h=ATOT3VCUu9ZYNEz5Iau0tO5XOGwnFWRSrjRE2X9_0mshSYdTQvrp4f7Pgfb03xVHMZ07rw-hvnnHXoo0kWS4lkYSfZFPKy32JVlvhxDQ5lojfbZDiQj3LZ8hjuOXHtAydGUBUvH1I9nu&s=1

This could be interesting, after 20 years Tech 3 will not be a Yamaha satellite team.   If they got a better offer then you would think it would be to run a factory team,  with Kawasaki's recent success in WSBK I hope they are planning a return to MotoGp, and with Triumph supplying the motors for Moto2 they could possibly be eyeing a MotoGp program.

I think a large portion of it is the uncertainty of Rossi's eventual retirement as he has stated he wants to run his own team when he does and Yamaha made it clear that they would support him.

I agree, it is a very interesting development and in many ways a puzzling one.  Last year the Tech 3 team and their very able French rider, Johann Zarco were getting arguably better results with the Yamaha than the factory team with Rossi and Vinales.  The first race of this year at Qatar had Zarco take the pole and lead the race until he cooked his tires at about the 2/3rd's point.  I think Tech 3 and Zarco are just about certain to win at least one race this year which is a huge achievement for a satellite team. 

So, why stop when you're winning?

I don't know the why's or what for's here but I think you're right in that it may be in part to do with Rossi's future with Yamaha after he retires from racing.  He just signed another contract with Yamaha for 2 years but he'll be over 40 years old when it's completed and it's hard to imagine him continuing after that.  Could he take over the role of Yamaha's lead satellite team?  Maybe.  Another possibility is that Tech 3 was offered a really sweet deal with another motorcycle brand and we just don't know what it is yet.  Which one?  Hard to say but the list of companies with the finances and technical skills to go MotoGP racing is really short and most of the possible players already have their hats in the ring.  Let's see, who has and is likely to spend $50 to $75 million on a sincere racing effort?
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »
Rumor mill right now is saying Tech 3 is going with KTM. I think Suzuki would be silly not to try and win over the Tech 3 team and supply them with factory bikes. Zarco may stick with the team for the change but more likely I'd say he'll get a factory ride. I don't really see Kawasaki moving back to GP anytime soon as they are doing so well in WSBK and Triumph has repeatedly said they would not get into the superbike game.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline LuckyPuck

• Bike whore extraordinaire
  • True Member
  • Woof!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:41:05 am »
It looks like KTM will be the way and I agree Suzuki could use the Tech 3 experience to speed their development.

I think Zarco will end up taking Pedrosa's place at Honda, unless Alex Marquez has a monster year in Moto2 and they decide to run a 2 Marquez team. I doubt that will happen as it would give too much leverage to the riders over the team but a scary thought.
BULTACO M49 Sherpa T 250
DRZ-400S
DRZ-400SM
Concours14
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:14 am »
It looks like KTM will be the way and I agree Suzuki could use the Tech 3 experience to speed their development.

I think Zarco will end up taking Pedrosa's place at Honda, unless Alex Marquez has a monster year in Moto2 and they decide to run a 2 Marquez team. I doubt that will happen as it would give too much leverage to the riders over the team but a scary thought.

That's an interesting idea but I don't think Alex M is fated for a successful MotoGP career.  Some very successful riders in Moto 3 and 2 can never make a successful jump to the Big Show.  A good example is Toni Elias who decided to come over to the USA and dominate our racing.  (That's also a good measure of where American racing is at when someone who's not quite good enough to make it in MotoGP is the most talented rider in MotoAmerica by far.)

On the other hand the chance for Zarco to be up for grabs is really interesting.  Any team would be lucky to get him since he looks to be a real up and comer.  I should think Suzuki would offer him just about anything he wants if there's a chance they could get him.  Zarco on a factory Ducati also sounds pretty cool but the Ducs are so hard to come to grips with.  Adapt your style to the the bike and ride them well (Stoner, Dovioso) and you're contending for the championship.   Merely be a great championship winning rider on Hondas and Yamahas (Rossi, Hayden, Lorenzo) and you're locked in mid pack with occasional flashes of brilliance.  As more than one person has observed, the Ducati team is where great racing careers go to die.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:13:24 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
Follow the MONEY is an old saying.  :pop

Hope it works for our government -- might get things back on kilter.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)