Author Topic: PAULRIDES Feb 20 -Sneedville Loop - Couple"Hoods", Vardy Community, Elrod Fall  (Read 112 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Jim responded, I knew he had not been where I was thinking to ride (like showing new stuff to a not been there rider). Loop ended going Mulberry Gap thru Sneedville as TerrE had mentioned Sneedville for his ride and gave me the idea as I had not been there in sometime.

PS: I thought of joining him until he ended up with a big group and I figured he was doing the usual roads (wanted to try a couple new 'Hoods" that Mike had told ne about off of Lone Mtn Road.

So, was glad in the end Jim responded and was not into a big group either. ENJOYED it Jim. Temperatures from 60sF to 81F did not hurt the day either. :-)

That's a pretty 2015 40th Anniversary Goldwing. Taken at the Vardy Community, home of Melungeons (we detoured off of Mulberry Gap to let Jim see the place). First Picture Below.

Anyway, we did the 3 "hoods" - one was not new and two were new and one new one was a dandy - dandy, steep & hilly, ridges & valleys. Thanks for sharing that Mike, I was not sure it was the one you mentioned but has to be as aren't any others except the Golf Course Community and the Ridge (Ridge we have done a couple times).

We left Chapman and Hendron Chapel at about 9:20AM and took pretty much usual route to Hwy 33 and then did the Ridge Hood, then onto Lone Mtn Road and the Hoods off of that, then the little country store on North end of Mulberry Gap (wanted Jim to see the store, bad thing is I knew I would have a bologna sandwich instead of sticking with my snacks - Jim stayed with his snacks, it's called will power), then onto Vardy Community (home of the Melungeons  for a quick look at the historic area - cabin and write ups), then over the Gap to Sneedville. Took Hwy 31 to Elrod Falls, and back to Chinquipin Road, to War Creek Road.

Pretty much standard trip back home 9Veterans Overlook, part of 11W, back road to Hwy along the lake, Hwy 92, and backroads to Hwy 25W/70. We split at 25W for homes.

I stopped by Mtn Mtr Sport (restroom and a stretch). I was on Hwy 66 apparently just after a bad wreck at the stop light on hwy 66 (traffic was just starting to back up as one lane on shoulder going south - I got thru within 5 minutes). Looked like a major as a Sheriff's SUV was demolished on the front end and saw many officer vehicles going there as I headed south.  Did not see ambulance yet??

PICTURE Story

Well it was 57F early just after I elft home.

Pretty much standard route to the first "hood" -- the ridge one which have done several times (MIke also introduced me to this a couple years ago).

The Ridge "Hood" for 1%'ers.

Turn around point - Jim and Goldwing.

Back on Lone Mtn Road.

Second "Hood" was new to me, a dandy - dandy ride ( a loop except of a small potion near entrance) -
4 pictures of the new "Hood" here (rest in next Reply).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:12:39 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Gotta love an 80sF day in Feb. :-)

PICTURE Story

The second "Hood" continued. There are not many homes in there considering the size of the area (I can understand as it would be a pain driving in and out of there to get to lone Mtn Road and then it's a distance to anything from there (Tazwell being the closest community). It is a beautiful area if you like views and and a good MC road.

We headed off the main route to a boat ramp (gate closed). Stopped to remove some clothing --- getting very warm it was.

The town? of Lone Mountain.

Took a short detour to a boat dock (marina) - just like seeing such?

The third and final "Hood" -- definitely 1%'ers or better. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:20:47 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Rest of Lone Mtn Rd, then Sycamore and Mulberry Valley (two of the nicer valleys in TGNO), Country Store stop (Bologna Sandwich), Vardy Community (Home of the Melungeons).

PICTURE Story

A couple of the better Valley Rides (my opinion). There are clouds for Eller.  :)

It'll be OK Cow, I'm not going to run over you (I hope).

I like meandering streams thru pastures beside a road. A valley usually has a stream.  ;)

The STORE and a Bologna Sandwich (not needed, did it anyway). We enjoyed visiting the store owner (43 years of operating).

Jim brought his snack in (bag on the floor) -- I had part of my snack and a bologna sandwich (being made above and talking a country store style sandwich - that be white bread, onion, tomato, lettuce, mustard). .

Moving on thru to Blackwater Rd (to Vardy Community), it's off of Mulberry Gap.
Bet that old Cadillac been sitting there since (who Know When). Reckon it would make an ideal restoration project for someone that knows how - not me). By the way, it's another beautiful valley.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:30:10 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Finishing this up --- a great day ride it was (sorry you missed a ride if you did not get out TUE). There is FRI maybe.

Bit more of Vardy (Melungeons) -- Elrod Falls, Chinquipin Rd and Home

PICTURE Story

Heading home - Mulberry Gap.

Rivers and stream are full around this area (lot of the recent rains concentrated north of Knoxville).

Elrod Falls should have plenty of water.

I think Jim liked the falls (I did also even though been there many times).

Elrod Falls road runs nearly thru this barn (certainly splits the guys property).

Chinquipin Rd is a nice ride partly on a ridge (views, that's what  I'm talking about).

Can get some views close to home also (2 of them). ;D

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:37:39 pm by PAULRIDES »