Author Topic: PAULRIDES Mar 26 - Sumac Range (GA) & Spring Creek Range (TN) - Test Keyhole  (Read 85 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
A few pictures of Sumac Range. Just went to look at it - thinking might meet son there to shoot someday.
A few pictures of Character Roads around Sumac Range.
A few Pictures of Spring Creek Road.
A few pictures at Spring Creek Range.

Finally, a few Pictures of Targets (Revolver Keyhole Test - RESULTS are NOT GOOD).  :groan

I left about home at 9:18AM after I finally decided to go to Sumac and packed up supplies (Targets - 22LR AMMO for the Revolver, and bag with shooting needs). Arrived at Sumac about noon, it's about 115 miles via Hwy 411 ( I did use Niles Ferry Rd to bypass the traffic around Hwy 129 and Hwy 411 at Maryville ).

Maybe, meet son there someday -- otherwise I would shoot here (FREE Range) - GA Charges for everything.

PICTURE Story  

Sumac Range in GA - Main Purpose was just to look around just a look around (they charge $5 per vehicle -- so I figured come back by Spring Creek range to shoot - FREE). There were two shooters there, had a brief BS with them. Left there about 12:45PM talked to a couple shooters.

Ton of Rules -- wonder if they are followed (pretty sure the one about setting pistol targets so bullets hit the berm and not the ground are not followed). The first target is 25 yards and folks set up in front of that -- shooting down (bullets not going to reach the berm before they hit the ground for most targets folks use at say 20 or 30 feet).

I would guess the water holes are from bullets in the past digging the dirt out.

Picture of the roads going back out from the range to the pavement (about 1/2 mile maybe, 1st part from the paved road is steep going down to the range as you can see in the last picture going up to the pavement). It was all well packed -- even big bike guys could ride it (but might be different if fresh gravel applied).

Saw a road named Lost Silver Mine Rd near the rang, had to check that out. AMAZING folks live back in there.
Silver Mine Rd is behind me as I took this panorama -- I rode down to here via the road on the left in the picture.

See really is a Lost Silver Mine Rd, I wonder if there ever was a silver Mine back there? It dead ends.

A Dead End sign and a NO TRUCK sign generally means a CHARACTER Road. :-) 

Road has character, but that stuff is packed (not loose as it looks) - going slow anyway.

That large pond was on my right going in -- I was coming out when I took the picture. Lot of No Trespassing and No Fishing signs.

I am on Old Hwy 2 (good ride) heading back to Hwy 411 at Cisco, GA. The turn onto Old Hwy 2 is marked by a Brown sign with White letter (Sign says Sumac Shooting Range and is on the right as you head south). The  turn is to the east, a left turn.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Spring Creek Rd is about 8 to 10 miles --- 5 about is gravel, well packed today and a nice ride along the creek. I did meet graders going opposite my direction and making a mess out of the road.  Not a real problem as you could stay mostly on packed road, but at times getting on the graded surface was a bit squirrely. Had about a mile or so of that.

PICTURE Story -- Includes the targets showing the Keyholing getting worse. (shot about 90 rounds with the revolver and this was after a thorough cleaning the day before).

First -- Benton, TN just north of the GA border on Hwy 411, there is a fabulous Gun Shop (Gun Needs of all kinds - hunting, etc.). I stopped, it is really nice. Sad, I think pricey as I saw on AMMO and guns. Can't imagine enough business along there to support that place at those prices, I would not think much business.

Spring Creek Rd as GPS sees it.

Then two pictures as I saw Spring Creek Rd (you would have also - had you been along for the ride). 

The range is really junked up. One bad thing is there is not one place to mount targets. I was hoping (it worked) there would be a box to hang mine on at start of 30 feet and moved to 20 feet later.  Some set targets near some scrub trees sort of to the right of the covered shooting area (tied strings between trees and hung them). I would never do that.

30 foot set up using a box that was there.

Keyholing not bad the first rounds, got worse the second round and on and on. I am going to try some other AMMO (the six shots I did at Bud's using BLAZER and American Eagle were good -- but that was only six rounds).

Next step would be to contact Heritage and see if they will do anything about it -- send gun back. It's useless as it is. I have heard ONE CAUSE can be a gap between cylinder and barrel (all revolvers have some and this is a cheaper gun). That causes lead to be scraped off the projectile (thus it rumbles rather than spins). Other causes of course like lead in barrel, but I had the barrel very clean (I THINK). read it can also be due to type AMMO as related to the amount of twist on the rifling.

Not too to bad first rounds.  I only had 6 rounds of Federal with me. (only see 5 holes ??? on right target )

Then the target on the right (reused for 18 rounds). Getting worse.

Moved target up to 20 foot.

Keyholing did not go away.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Fun day, be better if I could get that revolver to shoot a straight bullet every time VS a wobbly bullet that makes elongated holes.

Did some more testing at Jim's today after he looked at the gun and thought the Cylinder was Locking Up solid. There was a slight lead build up at the very rear of the barrel where the bullet enters from the cylinder. The build up was at the very top of the cylinder -- we picked it out. Then went to shoot three different brands of AMMO. Had keyholing with all of that (some rounds, not all rounds).

Then Jim had some CB AMMO (primer only no powder) and amazing that shot straight and no keyholing (maybe a little on one round).

Then Jim had some CCI Standard Velocity (I think that is 1070 FPS). It also shot straight with no keyholing (maybe a little on one round).

Going to try some more Standard Velocity --- maybe that is the solution.  :pop

PICTURE Story

First shows the use of  American Eagle and CCI Hollow Point Cooper Coated.

Second shows the use of Remington Hollow Point Coated, and the CB, and the CCI Standard Velocity. The left target is with the new GSG 1911 22LR.