Author Topic: PAULRIDES Mar 31 - Ride to Shoot(Keholing Solution ??) & Paint Rock / Creek  (Read 98 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
I been dying (not literally) to check the theory that the Keyholing Revolver would perform better (no keyholing) with Standard Velocity AMMO (1070 fps CCI that Jim A gave me).

It appeared to work better for six rounds at Jim A's range last Wednesday, but did see a slight keyholing on the first 18 rounds Saturday.

I did some other shooting with the other pistols also -  GSG 1911,  Ruger 22LR, and 9MM.  

WONDERFUL range day as no one else at the range for the first 1 1/2 hours or so that I was there. Then 2 Rifle shooters showed up. Not much interference as they used the 50, 100, and 150 yard range. I was off to the left on 25 yard range.

ANYWAY -- save targets for the Reply (in case anyone is interested).

So, here is the ride (couple pictures on the way to Bubbling Spring, mainly Paint Rock & Paint Creek (beautiful today as gravel part, about 9 miles was in good shape and views without tree leaves were good also).

PICTURE Story

A view of a homestead on Hwy 25W/70 and then the trun for Hwy 107 (3 miles up hwy 107 is Bubbling Spring).

Took cause I liked the MTNs in background.

The good part coming up:
After the shoot at the range. Going up Paint Rock Rd (old abandoned cabin on right)

At the peak is Lone Pine Gap (downhill from here and the best views cause sun was right).

Be down on that road soon.  :happyrider

Not yet down there, a ways to go.

Getting very close to down there.

Made it -- took a right along the French Broad (last 4 miles of gravel) to pavement and then into Hot Springs.

See, I said there is pavement ahead.

That be the bridge on Hwy 25W/70 over French Braod river just east of Hot Springs, NC.

I stopped for coffee (and maybe a sweet pancake) at THE SLAB. Then the guy was working with some pork he just took out of the Smoker. DANG, a BBQ at 4:00PM on the way home for dinner. Don't tell Betty.

There is that ground cover again -- TerrE said, "It's Phylox." I think he said, I all ready forgot.
Jackie said, "It's -- I really forgot what he said."

I say, "I just like it."

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
TARGETS (not Interested - close topic). Might learn something about Keyholing from first pictures suing the revolver with Standard Velocity AMMO. It does do better, but still had some keyholing show up (seemed mainly on the first 18 rounds).

Then shot some other stuff -- all 22 Pistol, one being a new GSG (German Sport Gun - MFG) 1911 model 22LR. LIKE

PICTURE Story

Targets ave enough writing on them to explain what was what. I wrote some colors when I got home.

Disappointed to see some Keyholing) on first 18 rounds (right target). Still less than normal with High Velocity AMMO. Left  target is GSG 1911 22LR Pistol, I thought I shot 10 rounds - only see 9?? I like that gun - nice trigger pull and reset.

No Keyholes (21 Feet) -- Well, maybe one. 

No Keyholes (30 foot)

GSG 1911 22LR -- Can't figure where to aim (set sights) at 25 Yards (I was using a rest). Second attempt (next picture) is some better. .

22 Ruger Semi Draw and Fast Shoot.

9MM Draw and quick shoot.

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
I guess I missed something what is The  revolver 22 * real picky about Ammo go with lighter weight bullet

if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
I'm wondering about that key holing too.  I agree that changing bullet weights might work but I've never seen key holing with a .22 before.  Odd to say the least
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:27:18 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
After thinking about it a couple of possibilities come to mind.

1)  Lead fouling of the barrel.    I love my K-22 S&W but the darn thing collects lead in the barrel like crazy.   Maybe it just shows up more clearly in that shiny stainless barrel.  Either way, it drives me crazy and I'm certain it doesn't help the accuracy.  Could it get bad enough to cause keyholing?  Maybe.

2)  Is your revolver convertible from .22 LR to .22 WMR?  If so you might be shooting .22 LR out of the .22 Magnum cylinder which is known for causing lousy accuracy.  Might be something to check...
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Heritage Ol West Style 6 shooter single action. Cheaper gun --- List prices are like $179 with both cylinders. Get them new for say $119 (+/-) (my buy at Bud's) with the LR Cylinder only. MAG Cylinder adds $30. .

I don't have the MAG - was only interested in targets and plinking with cheaper AMMO (MAG's cost more - that said I would not mind shooting a MAG, but wouldn't pay $30 plus tax for extra cylinder and cost of AMMO to Target and Plink).

Brief History of my experience (probably repeats stuff said before) --- looking back at target pictures since I bought the gun (last NOV was it), probably had some keyholing and did not have a clue as to why some bullet holes were not nice round holes, but some elongated holes. Plus, it does affect accuracy.

I had a day at Chuck Swan which sort of finally caught my attention - I first thought was due to Hollow Point - then later noted also with FMJ.

Anyway, I finally realized it to be a pain in the butt. Maybe find pictures from a shoot that really show how bad it was one day. Following that bad day at Bud's range, I cleaned and cleaned and nest time at range (Bud's) with limited time to shoot revolver cause I wanted to shoot the new GSG 1911 22LR more. Anyway, I shot 3 rounds of one AMMO and 3 rounds of another AMMO (had good round holes at 21 foot target). Thought this looks good.

Then wanted to test more as shown in a report here - I stopped at Spring Creek Range one day and shot like 90 rounds. Considerable keyholing and seemed worse the last 40 rounds. Part of that was at 30 feet and last was at 20 feet.

After that, I noticed a slight build up of lead at top part of the barrel where projectile first enters from the cylinder. Jim A and I chipped that out with a pick at his house. (BTW -- figured maybe a slight misalignment of the cylinder and barrel causing the projectile to be scraped). Lock - Up of cylinder feels fine and Jim A did not think play was excessive. Hard to say about horizontal alignment.

Anyway, we went to his range and shot it -- keyholing until we tried some CB AMMO (primer only according to Jim A) for 6 rounds and Standard Velocity (1070 FPS) for 6 rounds -- saw very little keyholing and much improved accuracy.

So, I took it out to Bubbling Spring with Standard AMMO and saw a bit of keyholing, but most was good.

THAT is kind of a repeat of what I said in opening this Topic.

Keyholing --- I did some research on GOOGLE and TN Gun Owners Forum, and Jim A to get some INFO on causes -- see next.

By the way - not unusual for 22 to keyhole (had one guy on a FORUM when GOOGLING that had a bad case --
I  think he resolved as due to a spot build up of lead).

Jim A told me that some soldiers in Vietnam modified end of Muzzle on M 16 to make it projectile tumble to get more damage cause they thought the projectile was small. Don't know if that is true. Accuracy is affected, but I guess a lot of combat is not aiming as much as throwing lead and lots of it.

Get lead build up in barrel as the one guy on a FORUM had (I picture that as sort of bump of lead, don't know or fill in valley of rifling).

Damage on end of muzzle (I think talking uneven roughness at very barrel outlet).

A relation between the twists of the rifling (spin on projectile) VS the speed or weight of the AMMO.  22LR would be from standard 1070 FPS to HV 1280 FPS and I think 35 Grain to 40 Grain is what I have seen - actually there is quite that is like 710 FPS and suppressed that is like 970 fps).

Revolver timing (position of Cylinder when locked in ready to shoot) may be slightly off (causing the projectile to skim the rear entry to the barrel and scrape lead off. Revolvers always have some gap between cylinder and barrel (gas comes out there when you shoot and sometimes bad cases actually kick out some lead.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Ive owned a couple of the heritage .22s. Great plinker gun, good varmint gun too.

Try some rat shot through it,
What does "riding season" mean?