Author Topic: PAULRIDE Apr 5 - Bunch of Character Roads(Del Rio area Loop Hwy107 back to 107)  (Read 82 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Got busy looking at GOOGLE maps after the short loop I did in the Del Rio area on TUE. Looked like a lot of interesting roads (some may be two interesting), so I went back.  

Anyway, after Gym this AM while it was cold, came home for lunch, and left about 12:15PM for Hwy 107 toward Del Rio. Turned off Hwy 107 and spent a couple hours making a loop. Hoping my GPS held up (it cuts on and off,  like looses power and then starts again, sometimes giving low battery notice). Fortunately, it performed flawlessly during the difficult part of the ride. Not sure I could have followed my nose thru there without it.

First half of loop (longest part) took me near EXIT 447 of I-40 (Water Rafting Exit), so I rode in there and got 1/2 gallon of gas as wanted to make sure I had enough to get home.

Second half of the loop was back to Del Rio downtown (comes out at the Fox Den). However, I waited until The Sled for a break (coffee and ended up order of fries -- big order).

PICTURE Story(18 in each post) - Starts at the New Roads and ends at New Roads (mostly character roads and scenery).

There is actually a "hood" back in there. Picture with a group of houses.

And if there is a Hood, someplace close by there is a church (Church of God in Jesus Name).

Go left --- maybe would have without GPS as think needed based on the compass.

There are some rough looking places back in these hills. Tough life I betcha on that.

I was not looking forward to meeting a LOGGING TRUCK (loaded) on this graded (half done graded) road. I was not looking forward to going in that graded pile of gravel. FORTUNATELY, the truck was just sitting there belching out smoke and pulled over to the side.

This half graded road lasted longer (guess a few miles) than I wanted it to last (also, had more character worry about getting out of the way of a car, truck, or grader coming back toward me). YAHOO !!! none of that happened.  Don't worry, be happy.  :pop
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
More roads and scenery (What else is there? - It's DANG MC Ride in TN)

YEP - it is.

The next 18 pictures

Is that little young'n (calf) gonna butt me, stand there, or turn and run. Ended up, turn and run as I got even and stopped in tracks when I gunned it. About as predictable as a deer (who knows what gonna do next).

I had intended to ride a bit up "Road" cause I think there is a route over to Hwy 73 (not sure it goes thru). And decided not going up there alone, see next picture.

I will wait for Jackie as it might have more character than I want and it is not on the loop I intended for today. (Jackie is game if he ever gets back to TN).  So, I backed back down to the intersection I had left. 

And moved on along the intended route.

Pretty much on a main Hwy and soon will be on the main HWY and  end at Exit 447 of I-40 (Water Rafting Headquarters).

I would think it would be a bit cold to go rafting.

Heading back for 2nd part of my loop (will end at Fox Den in downtown Del Rio - did not stop headed on home).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:08:53 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
More interesting roads -- I got off the main route back to Del Rio downtown.

PICTURES show   The get off the main route back to Del Rio worked, but got questionable at one point.

Above was DANG nice ride -- then began to wonder is this gonna work?

It looked a little shaky ahead (after the turn ahead on GPS) - turned out OK road when I got there.

Continue down the hill to the turn (shown on GPS above).

Start up after the turn. It's an OK Gravel Road.

And, turns to pavement.

Apparently, county invested some money into a decent new road (all ready has some bad spots in it -- could use a bit more engineering or road builders). It's a good ride, but watch for bad sections or gravel - make sure you can see ahead.

Stopped to change battery in camera (nice view I thought -- my road on left).

Took a short loop thru a hood (intended to be a loop, but the road back out was not good, so turned around and came out the way I went in). Anyway, it's a better hood than some I saw and is not too far from downtown Del Rio. ALSO, the last picture. :-)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:17:30 pm by PAULRIDES »