Author Topic: PAULRIDES Apr 8 - Chris's Event was Chris and Me (Plenty shooting & Chili)  (Read 140 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Chris offered a nice event, not many showed which made for a lot of shooting and lunch for me and Chris.  :pop

By the way -- we did not watch the race as too busy shooting. His wife and a friend were enjoying it while we (Chris and I) took a lunch break about 3PM. They kept Chris out of the TV Room so he could watch later (it was recording).

I would have liked to watch part of it with Chris as he is knowledgeable about MC Racing events. There are not enough hours in the day to watch and shoot also. Rather take the opportunity to shoot as it was a great day for that (comfortable 50s, no significant wind, and enough sun to be nice).

Thanks Chris for the day -- sad no one else came, on the other hand we got to shoot more.  :n21

So, even thought folks probably tired of looking at Targets - gonna show the part at Chris's first.

Skip to Reply for the ride part. However, at least look at the first few pictures - one beautiful Peacock roams the hood around there with some ginnies (sp). The Peacock shows his stuff, I think he is in love with the ginnes (sp) as there are no female peacocks around (That is sad).

At Chris's -- PICTURE Story All I can say is - U that did not come missed a fun afternoon of shooting (not to mention some good chili and a sandwich and of course a lot of BSing.

Occasionally - he (Peacock not Chris) really gets sexy with a rear view.  Ginnes just ignore it all.

So, he tries the frontal approach again -- they just keep on eating.

I used the Scooter as a support (51 feet per Chris's pace off). Rest we shot free hand (no support). Mostly target shooting, but I did some Defense Shooting (move off X, stop and shoot a couple rounds, move and stop again to shoot a couple rounds).  I had brought poles / string to mount targets, and a spinner (the green thing) - Chris had some boxes to tape targets on.

Almost  all target pictures are of my Splatter Burst targets (Chris got in on a few of those with the Pump Up Pellet Pistol -- think we both did better with the pellets than anything else).

I wanted to check the Heritage Revolver for Keyholing after I had beveled ever so slightly the rear barrel entry (where bullet from cylinder moves into the barrel). It felt a bit rough to me -- took a cone shaped grinding stone and got it fitted inside where the cylinder fits, then had turned it back and forth some to smooth the entry and put a slight bevel on it. Hard to tell if I did much, but to me it felt smoother.

NOW, I am confused as the first targets I shot I thought I used High Velocity AMMO (but I wrote on the target that it was Standard velocity). The first 6 rounds at 21 feet did not show any Keyholing (thought maybe I fixed it). Then shot from 51 feet and had some (two) Keyholes.   DANG it, not sure what AMMO I used since I wrote Standard on there - pretty sure it was High Velocity AMMO.

Then the target below on this cardboard was also at 51 feet, but I know I used Standard Velocity AMMO -- No Keyholing and better accuracy.

Chris has a sort of collector 20th anniversary Ruger Revolver (single action also).  I shot it -- LIKE.

Then shot my new GSG 1911 at 51 feet. The aim (sight picture, where to aim)) has me a bit confused.
Aimed center first and group was high. Moved aim down and ended up group was low. 

Moved to 31 feet and aimed center - group pretty well centered on upper target. Confusion?
Then lower target (three 2 inch ones) - aimed center and first two were real high. WHAT?? Kept aiming center and group pretty well centered.  Me or Gun??

Defense shooting is more fun anyway.  Using the Ruger 22 Semi Auto -- draw, move a couple steps while racking, stop and shoot a couple rounds, move back a few steps, stop and shoot a couple more rounds. I used marks, X's, circles, and A's to show the different rounds (5 each time in a MAG).

Then the lower target was with Chris's Smith & Weston 22 (really nice gun feels heavy like a 45 or something). Just target shooting - not moving.

I think the 380 has some issues -- I was just target shooting (aiming). I have put a ghost ring rear sight on it (had to adjust that to the left as first three rounds were to the right). However, the main issue of concern is the paper looks torn bad on some shots (like Keyholing). I have Keyholing on the brain. GROAN.

Better accuracy here (21 feet), but I think seeing some torn holes.

The 9 MM defense practice. Can't believe I missed cardboard on 8 rounds (CORRECTION -- Realized later I had 5 rounds left when I got home - so only shot 20 of the 25 I took). Missed cardboard with 3 of those.

Thought I remembered only one round missed after 15 rounds.  Same kind of deal -- put 5 in the MAG and move, rack, stop, and shoot a couple - then move, stop, and shoot a couple more.  It's FUN -- Maybe get better someday. 

Now for some better accuracy using a $39 Pump Up Pellet Pistol with a peep rear sight. And, pellets only cost a $0.01 each. :-) Chris shot two here.

Then Chris took the pump Up Pellet  to his stand (51 feet) and shot at other targets and the spinner. We had pasted another target (lower one) on the cardboard where my 9MM was shot. Chris got two in center (lower target) and decided to leave it at that HA! He moved to some other targets. I also shot the pellet again at a can and also shot the 22 revolver at a can (51 feet supported).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:36:00 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
The RIDE to Chris's might be more appealing (Frost on the Mountain Tops and other views -- waterfall for one on a road close to Chris's home).

I waited for a bit of warm up (to 42F) and left home about 10:50AM. Took a long way around to Chris's and got there right at noon.  Just a few views of Frost on the Mtn Tops and some country scenes including the waterfall that I stopped to photo.

PICTURE Story

No further explanations needed, just pictures. Well, I will say  -- check Frost on the MTN Top.

And last picture shows the greeting committee (leader of that).

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
We had a pretty fun day.  Paul was shooting extremely well and did particularly well with my Smith & Wesson 617 revolver.  (Stainless K-22 for the old guys out there.)

The difference I think wasn't the gun being a lot more accurate than his but it does have much better sights.  I noticed he also did well with the Ruger Single Six which also has good sights and, like the Smith, a pretty nice trigger pull.   So I kidded Paul about him needing to buy a good S&W revolver for himself.  Just kidding as he was shooting pretty good with everything.

The food was good, the shooting was fun, the weather nearly perfect and the company congenial.  And afterwards the race was fascinating and not a little bizarre with plenty of "edge of your seat" moments.

Yeah, we need to do this again with more folks.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Realized I had only shot 20 rounds of 9MM (took 25 with me and had 5 in pocket when I got home).

Not that anyone cares except me (my pride)  :groan --- Correction only had 3 complete misses of the cardboard with the move, stop, shoot 2 or 3 rounds and repeat.

So, corrected the picture.  I feel better.  :pop
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:50:25 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
Paul is shooting some good group but I never could do nothing but a 9mm anyway that's why I  shoot

the 45
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Sorry I didn't make his .Looks like you guys had a blast.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Next time  -- Marc and Skeeter show up OK.  :pop

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
It was after 1 before I was able to think about leaving.1 1/2 hr ride each way and needed to be home by 6.I just felt like I was running too late and not going to have much time.Otherwise  :yw
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Not enough hours in a day. Have that happen even as a retiree.  :banghead

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
It was after 1 before I was able to think about leaving.1 1/2 hr ride each way and needed to be home by 6.I just felt like I was running too late and not going to have much time.Otherwise  :yw

Marc,

If it would ever help with the scheduling I have a fairly nice guest room you could use.  We even furnish coffee and breakfast in the morning before we send you on your way. 
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Appreciate the offer but I had to be somewhere at 6:30.Things just didn't work out this time around.
Marc

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Pretty sure i was in calexico ca. On the 8th
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
Pretty sure i was in calexico ca. On the 8th

Cool place though that is I think you'd have had a lot more fun here helping me with my missing.  And the race was amazing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:44:21 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES