Author Topic: TUE -- 10th April -- Paul / Chris Ride to Cowboy Shoot and Beyond  (Read 99 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Late notice and week day -- figured I would put it here anyway.

A Cowboy Shoot is a competition thing -- Outlaw Club located in oak Ridge (west on Hwy 95) is the place.
http://oakridgeoutlaws.org/

They are part of SASS (Single Action Shooting Society).
https://www.sassnet.com/

Generally a match involves timed shooting of shotgun, lever action rifle, and pistols with accuracy as part of the event - misses add to the time).

Anyway, Jim A mentioned there is a SR Event on Tuesday 9AM ( Jim A has been invited to participate by a friend - don't know if he WILL or WILL NOT).

It would be a fun hobby (expensive to buy the guns needed, and they wear old West Clothing, and apparently need a cart to haul stuff around at matches). Not worth it to me, I did see one of these events at a Western day thing (Pigeon Forge has those events, but I don't think they do the shooting thing anymore). s

Anyway, mentioned all that to Chris at his Sunday Lunch and Shoot Event. I have been wanting to stop by there for sometime and thought I might TUE.  Chris was interested,  he is going to join me (hope there is in fact something going on at the Outlaws). Either way, we will go by there and check it out -- then probably do a ride up toward Wartburg (Potter Falls and Lilly Overlook are places Chris has not been, so more than likely include that as destinations).

MEETUP - Meet Chris at McD on Hwy 33 (Maryville) just south of the jct of 33 and Pellissippi Parkway at 9:00AM.

Have a bite of breakfast, get to the Outlaws by 10AM +/- 10 or 15 MIN

Hopefully get back in area of home by around 3 or 4PM.

IF INTERESTED  --- Let me know or take a chance to meet us at McD (never know could cancel for some reason or be In/Out of McD sooner than planned).
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Re: TUE -- 10th April -- Paul / Chris Ride to Cowboy Shoot and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:10:58 am »
We did meet at the McD's at 0900 and the ride was pretty cool.  The Cowboy action shooting was great.  The participants were friendly and welcoming and I could easily see me getting into the hobby.  One slight drawback is that I would guess it would take about $2500 - $3000 to get set up with guns, costumes and equipment to play.  But it was very cool.

The scenic sights Paul promised were great as well.  Potter's Falls and Lilly Bluff were simple gorgeous and amazingly, absolutely deserted so Paul and I had them to ourselves.  Both were well worth the trip all by themselves.  I'll definitely be going back with the wife and grandlings to show them.

On the way back Paul stopped by the BMW / Yamaha shop on Topside Rd.  He asked if I minded and mentioned he wanted to see the GS310 BMW.  Stopping at a BMW Shop didn't seem much of a burden to a guy riding a BMW R100RS.  HAd a good time there looking at bikes and discussing the recent MotoGP shambles in Argentina with a guy there who closely follows MotoGP.  Paul left me there still bench racing with the sales staff.

Thanks for a great ride Paul!

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: TUE -- 10th April -- Paul / Chris Ride to Cowboy Shoot and Beyond
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:54 am »
Welcome --- I enjoyed the day, do it again sometime. See Ride Report pictures.

More stuff to see in that area including NEMO Bridge (flood information on the bridge) and on up further into Southfork Wilderness area (The Gorge, Rugby Historic Community, Pickett State Park for arches, caves, and a swinging bridge). Ends up being about a 150 mile round trip.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)