Author Topic: PAULRIDES May 6 - Clouds and More Clouds (pictures) & Quick Shoot at Chuck Swan  (Read 118 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
It was a Beautiful Cloud Picture Day and I thought, this will finally satisfy Eller (he likes pictures with clouds). And, it ain't easy to satisfy him.

So, I started taking Cloud Pictures (always some scenery in the pictures as well).

There are 15 Cloud Pictures, 2 Non-Cloud Pictures, 4 Target Pictures (so not too boring).  :pop 

A little shooting was 36 rounds with the .22 Heritage Revolver (STD Vel 1070 FPS) at 24 feet (no keyholing but accuracy is not great). Probably my part as not sure where to set the sights on that gun -- I think  need to file down the front sight - there is no adjustment on the gun as it's Old West Style.

Also a little shooting was 30 rounds with the Ruger SEMI (fun with two targets set 3 foot apart and sort of alternating targets - like move and shoot two or three at one, then move and shoot two or three at the other or just shoot one and then the other). I tend to shoot left of desired point when doing that (quick shots with limited aim or just pointing).

Then 5 rounds with the 9MM (like move, stop, and shoot) - only three found the 8.5 x 11 (just below center)  and could not find the other 2 on the wider paper behind the 8.5 x 11.  :groan

PICTURE Story

Norris Lake is full again.

Pretty full as it shows in the fingers - about as full as it gets.

This is my favorite picture of the day (had actually noted the scene passed it a mile or so, and decided to go back for the picture). The reflection in the pond is almost mirror perfect.

Target Pictures would be next in time sequence as I arrived at Chuck Swan Range (not a person around while I was there). However, save those til last and pick up pictures on the way home. Rode the Ridge Road that leads to the Log Cabin (had not been on that road for sometime - views with clouds were GOOD).

Start with pictures before the Ridge. Nice herd of cattle on a hill and CLOUDS. :-)

The road ahead includes part of the herd that was on the hill.

Almost at the top of the Ridge Road (this is looking north before reaching the top of the ridge).

Now at the top of the ridge (made a panorama) -- what you think? I think does not get much better than this.

Imagine the view the folks in this house have.

Not far after passing the Log Cabin Church -- the road gets a little nasty (rough) and further yet it was fresh tar and chat but somewhat packed in the tire tracks (fortunately).  Note: The Dish antenna.

This red roofed church caught my eye from a distance and when I got near it, I deviated a block or so to go and take a picture.

There is a cemetery (pretty large one) behind the fence you see on right side of the picture (above). There is a sign honoring Veterans at the Cemetery (Note: some are Revolutionary War Soldiers). And, I see WW1, and I assume Civil War as well.

Approaching Hwy 33 via this nice valley. I think that brown field is cut winter wheat.

Hwy 33 Bridge and view of Marina and CLOUDS.

One last CLOUD view. DANG It Eller, if you aren't happy now, you NEVER WILL BE. :-) What you say?

TARGETS: Someone left the first targets I used for the .22 Revolver (they had a few bullet holes that I patched).

Rather than aim at the center - I picked two other aim points (nearly cut off part of the top target when I made the Photo). That Revolver shoots high (I think) and it is hard to know where to set the front sight in the rear sight (rear is not adjustable - need to grind off part of the front sight). I was aiming low and realized that, but could not get shots up.

Then the second group (bottom group) was as bad or worse (had more to the right).

Then this target after I patched it - I aimed at the center. I was hitting low and finally made myself aim high enough to hit some high ones. Numbers or not in sequence of the shots - just a count.

Other than that, I don't see much Keyholing if any using standard velocity - 1070 FPS). I don't know if I will send it back to Heritage to take a look (they might give me a new gun as they said it should shoot anything up to 1350 FPS). The only reason I would is Standard Velocity costs around $0.02 per round more (adds up as 100 rounds is another $2).   

First time I tried shooting at two different targets (alternating shots after each shot or after two or three shots). Targets were only 3 feet apart as that is the width of the mounting pad. Anyway, it was fun --- move while drawing, stop and shoot a couple rounds - then repeat.

I had not planned to shoot the 9MM, but one clip has 5 rounds of FMJ along with Hollow Points (so I took the H P out and shot the FMJ ( can replace those at home for $0.20 per round VS like $0.75 for Hollow Points).
Anyway, the previous shooters had left a target (human image) that had a lot of holes in it. I covered most of it with an 8.5 x 11 and patched the other holes so I could tell where my misses hit.

Then did the move, stop and shoot for 2 rounds and then again for 3 rounds at 24 feet.
GROAN -- don't know where 2 of 'em went (missed the whole thing). The other 3 are decent (for me - hoping to hit near center of the 8.5 x 11.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:43:20 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)