Author Topic: PAULRIDES May 23 - BKF @ Del Rio - Ride to Exit 447 - Then Cataloochee Valley  (Read 45 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Met the rider, Jackie, at EXXON for 8AM depart. Made the run to Del Rio, TN for a Fox Den Breakfast. Then took Jackie for his first trip over to Exit 447 (Raft and Zip Line Exit) for a break.

Guess who was there, that came over and said, "Hey East TN Bikers." We finally figured out it was Daryl (Sarge). He works there and explained GOOD DISCOUNTS for local folks on their raft trips and Zip Lines.

SO, if doing a raft trip or a zip line --- be sure and stop at the place with the swinging bridge that crosses over to the Zip Tower and ask for the discount.  :21

Anyway, we left there after a BS Session and ran I-40 to Exit 20 in NC. Then took Cove Creek Rd (A very twisty ride with the last 4 miles being dirt and gravel mixture - BTW,  in very good shape WED despite the fact I was fearing the rains would make it slick). 

We rode to the end of pavement in the valley for some view pictures (beautiful place with CLOUDS - Yep). Then took the road to Cosby out of the valley (13 miles of gravel0. Surface was good in terms of no loose gravel or slick areas - that said, it is a bit rough with rock out cropping and some chug holes. Still many portions could run up to 20 MPH (and I am not a Hot Rod on gravel roads).

We stopped at the Country Store for  a break and coffee (Store is at Jct of Mt Sterling Road, the gravel road out of Cataloochee Valley,  and the road to the Waterville Exit). Neat store (all but first pictures of store are by Jackie as my camera battery died).

Glad Jackie volunteered to buy coffee ($1.50 price). I'll repay him at McD with $0.70 cent cup or heck the station at Greenback with $0.05 coffee. LOL  I hate to owe someone something. 😜

All in all a good ride with some good roads and a bit of challenge -- not your average MC Ride, it's a Paul kind of ride that fits Jackie also.  :happypep

He did have some complaints about the road out of Cataloochee.  :pop

PICTURE Story

I think gonna be some cloud views today for Mr Eller who gave up riding.😠

We gonna eat or take pictures all day? Gonna do both, eat and take pictures.  :banghead

Let's Eat. $2.50 two egg / cheese with tomato / pepper omelette (we split a plate of Biscuit and gravy for $0.90 each). DGE (Dang Good Eats). I took the cheese slices off cause it had cheese in the omelette. 

The ride to Exit 447 (raft and Zip Line Exit). It has some good roads to ride. This main road is relatively new but has some rough broken up sections and a couple curves with gravel kicked up (easy to spot in advance and not really a danger if you are not acting crazy).

Nearly at Exit 447, look for a a road to the left (Black Mtn Road) with a WARNING "Narrow Road".
BELIEVE THAT SIGN but it is a nice loop back to the main road (so ride part of the main road twice -- it's worth it).

See what narrow means and it is curvy and up a MTN to a ridge run. Then becomes a nice view road before you reach the main road. I call it a Paul Road (maybe not for Big Bike Riders).

Then we made it to Exit 447. look for the swinging bridge and sign up for a Raft Trip or a Zip Line Ride. (REMEMBER - good local discount per Daryl, Sarge).

We made it onto the swinging bridge before leaving.

This be Daryl (Sarge) at his summer job.

Ran I-40 to Exit 20 in NC and then headed for Cataloochee Valley via Cove Creek Road (it's a ride and rhododendron in bloom). 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Continue  --- Here we go on a Riders Ride. At least to me it is. 😃

PICTURE Story

Cove Creek Rd becomes dirt/gravel about 4 miles (rides like pavement) before entering Cataloochee pavement. Be aware of oncoming traffic (one was a travel trailer met on a blind curve  and had about 3 foot of road to get by it).  Not good.   :banghead

Road down to the valley is paved as is the main road in the valley --- DGV (Dang good view).

Stopped at a restroom and noted the "group" of Butterflies (don't know what to call them -- flock maybe). Saw several places that they were gathered in a "group". Social bunch I guess? Jackie took the close up picture and sent it to me. Made a  MOVIE of them (ATTACHED)

Starting the trip home -- looking over my shoulder this is what I see in rear view mirror (MOST of it is pretty good).

About 13 miles of this (fun ride this trip). By the way, no dust - hardly need to clean bike up (I don't often anyway).

Jackie stopped for this picture (sent it to me -- it is a sometime small waterfall) beside the road.

THE STORE -- remember reading an article (or saw on TV) that a lady had reopened the store. It is a bit touristy (there is camping in the area and I would guess she depends on that for some business). Normally, no sandwiches - understand some weekends they serve Hot Dogs and such. My Camera died (Battery) after I took one picture - Jackie too the rest.

Don't know why my picture got a reduced size. Better check camera setting, must have accidentally selected low PIXEL.

The way OUT  is the same as the way IN.  😉
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:22:38 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Great seeing you guys again. Great deals for locals on rafting and ziplines.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Great seeing you guys again. Great deals for locals on rafting and ziplines.

It's mutual.  :)

Wonder does discount apply to out of town G-Sons (not children -- they are 21)?

Have 2 that will be here next weekend (FRI and SAT). One day is Dollywood and the other is up to them. 

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
Book it under your name and all get the discount.
Semper Fi

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Book it under your name and all get the discount.

Thanks.  :21

I do not know what they will want to do. I offered ideas for day not at Dollywood: Shooting in AM one day, Wife would like them to play Indoor Golf the same day, I mentioned Kayaking or Float Trip, they suggested maybe hiking a trail.

My guess is after Dollywood one day, they might just want to hang out (would be Betty's choice).