Author Topic: PAULRIDES Jun 8,9,10,11 - 900 +/- Miles of Day Rides-FL/MA Visitors(Get Off)  (Read 175 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Dick (FL) and Rick (MA) arrived Jun 7 for 4 days of riding. Dick had a get off on second day (SAT) and decided not to ride SUN and MON (back is bothering him). Jim (WI Folks that come thru here often in Spring and Fall) arrievd JUN 9, and rode with Rick and me on Jun 11.

So despite some weather uncertainty (especially Monday) we got in some good rides. FRI, SAT, SUN had destinations and MON was local roads sticking closer to home for fear of rain storms around noon time. Nothing significant developed, but we did get a light shower twice and one moderate shower. 

June 8 was a loop to Muddy Pond including a stop by Big Southfork Overlook, Pickett State Park including a arch brdige on Hwy 154, a couple dandy roads (Hwy 52, Hwy 85 seevre switchbacks, Hwy 164 and Muddy Pond Rd for a stop at the stores there, Hwy 62 a cruising road coming home. About 280 miles (a bit more for them).   

June 9 was a route thru Del Rio to Exit 447 of I-40 (breakfast at The Slab on the way). The a run down I-40 to Canton, NC where we picked up the road over the MTN (Beaver Dam Rd)> The trip down the north slope of that MTN is one of the best view rides around here (also is a bit challenging). In fact it is where Dick ran off a curve (not one of the worst curves - don't know how it happened). I heard a noise (maybe drug a floorboard on the HarleY), I looked back in my mirror to see him go off the road and then flip off the bike (heels over head and landed about 15 foot from the bike on his back). One of the best places to run off the road (there are not many good places in this part of the world) as shoulder was smooth and grassy leading to a corn field. Had he not caught a small ditch that stopped the Harley, he would have just run up into the cornfield. The ditch stopped the bike and he went for a flying dismount. No broken bones but back is bothering him, The bike showed hardly any damage and he rode home from there about 120 miles. Total ride was about 220 miles. I cut a good portion of another mountain road area as figured after his get off, he would not be up to those roads.

June 10 was Rick and me on a loop into VA and back, about 250 miles. The main attractions were an area getting to Rogersville (Amiss Mill and a Civil War Battle Memorial - Battle of Big Creek). Picked up Hwy 66 at Rogersville (66 is one curvy road) and then cut over to Hwy 70 into VA (Jonesville, VA). Did a little loop north of Jonesville, VA and headed home via a back road route (Beautiful View Route) that eventually becomes Mulberry Gap Rd. Then Hwy 63 over the MTN to Sneedville. Finally another view road, Chinquipin, to eventually get to Hwy 25E. Then some back roads to Washburn (stop at the closed Petticoat jct store for a break). 

June 11 plans were somewhat messed up by TV weather predictions showing storms coming thru the area from around 10AM to 4 PM. We (Rick, Jim from WI joined us, and me) decided to stick close to home and run some favorite back roads. Figured we could make a run for home if skies darkened and Radar showed anything developing. We only had a couple light rains, then a moderate rain on Hwy 321 when we decided to go to Gatlinburg for Rick to see the fire damaged area on the MTN road that is south of Gatlinburg (runs between the aquarium and the over pass). Had dry raods going into Gatlinburg and up the MTN raod (would not go up that if not dry). BTW, the growth of ground cover, bushes, etc., almost disguise the fire damage except for the burned trees and new construction going on.

June 12    Rick started back to MA at 7AM (1000 mile rdie for him). I took Dick to a motel near the airport for his flight to FL on June 13. We stored his Harley in a neighbor's basement. Dick plans to fly back here July 13 and ride it to FL. He was not up to riding to FL this soon as back is still bothering him some.  HOPE nothing real serious -- he plans to have it checked in FL.   

WAY to many pictures for me to post everything I took over 4 days. So, I will just pick some. Probably 80 total in this and the next 3 replies.

PICTURE Story - Start with the Get Off (June 9) and then start over with the first, second, third, and fourth day rides is sort of sequence.   

Leading to the Get Off (4th picture) is three  pictures from Beaver Dam Road as we come down the North side slope.  I stopped to change batteries in the camera and made a panorama of the view. Then a GPS showing the Mtn Road. Then a view of the curve where Dick left the road (it is at bottom left of the picture and curves to the left - not a real sharp curve, but is a bit downhill and a chance to build up speed before reaching the curve). Then the crash scene - Rick and I had stood the bike up and sort of out of the ditch that stopped the bike.   
Had he not caught that ditch (not too deep and only 4 feet long), he would have had a n easy ride up to a cornfield. Unlucky there, but Lucky as could have been a lot worse getting off in some areas.

OK -- back to Day 1, June10, and on from there. Let you guess what picture is where based on the day descriptions above. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:15:44 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Last picture on first post was on Hwy 85 after the stop att he little country store. Hwy 85 has one steep switchback section (as steep as any I have ever been on). The road was in he best shape I have seen it until after the switchbacks - then had some areas of roughness and road separation. Anyway, we are still on the way to Muddy Pond stores.

PICTURE Story

You can guess, not going to take time to describe.  :pop
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:23:18 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Start a new Day, June 9, the ride to Canton which was the Get off on Beaver Dam Mtn Road. Started with a breakfast at The Slab on Hwy 25 east of Newport, then a run thru Del Rio and over the MTN to Exit 447 of I-40. ran I-40 to Canton Exit and took Beaver Dam Rd over the MTN. Becomes Willow Creek and Mushy Creek to Hwy 63, then we ran back roads to Marshall, NC and took a break at INGLES to discuss Dick's abilty to continue more MTN roads  to head back via hwy 25/70 thru Hot Springs and Newport. We elected to head home vis 25W/70. . ,

PICTURE Story

You can guess.  :pop

Add, we lost Rick at Hot Springs. He stops to take pictures of signs (some game he plays) and then catches up. We turned the corner in Hot Springs, he was not behind Dick and Dick did not wait at the corner. I did not notice Rick missing for a bit and then we figured he went straight onto hwy 209 (Rattler) to I-40. So, he was much later getting home partly caue I-40 was blocked one lane (bridge repair).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:39:05 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Tht brings us to Sunday, June 10, when Rick and I made  the ride to VA alone. About 250 miles and we made good time with just the two of us and went 3 1/2 hours to Jonesville, VA before the first stop. Except for a stop at Big Creek Battle Memorial and Amiss Mill.  Probably some of the best curves, Hwy 66 and Hwy 70, and views (Hwy 70 going into VA) and the road to Mulberry Gap after you cross from NC into TN coming home. Well, can also say Chinquipin Rd is beautiful as well. 

PICTURE Story

You can guess again.  :pop  You will know when we are at Washburn (Petticoat Jct break stop). 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:51:39 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Continue the VA ride and then back to TN. Did a little bypass road around Jonesville and then a loop road before starting back to TN.  The loop road turned out nicer than I expected (kind of a 1 1/2 lane thing with some decent scenery)

PICTURE Story

You can guess where we are.  :pop
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:00:45 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Monday, June11, wraps it up. Not much new here to you locals unless all you ride is main highways.

It was sort of a dreary day and a bit of rain showed up (light to moderate). Only did about 150 miles with Rick and Jim (WI JIM's first ride). 

Just looped north, then east, stopped at Indian Creek MKT and got tempted by Cobbler. Then east some more, cut over to the new 411 and back by Bush Bean. Then north on some favorite roads to Foothills (up and back). Then to Cosby (Hwy 321) where we decided to go to Gatlinburg and ran into  the moderate rain for about 1/2 hour.   

PICTURE Story

You get to guess again.  :pop Might be some roads you have not seen.

Last pictures -- you will know where we are --- Dick & Ricks Motel on Hwy 66 (Dick on balcony - missed two days of riding).  :groan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:15:22 am by PAULRIDES »