Author Topic: Autonomous motorcycles? But why?  (Read 27 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Autonomous motorcycles? But why?
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:25:56 am »
It would seem that many bike companies are working on autonomous motorcycles.  First Yamaha, then MV Augusta...now BMW.  Which begs the question...why?

I really don't need a bike that'll take off on a ride without me.  Maybe we could send it on important errands like in the old movies?  After a get off you could look up at your bike and yell:  "Trigger, Go get help!"

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Autonomous motorcycles? But why?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
Somehow I have to think the government is behind this push for self driving everything.Also the younger generation that really doesn't want to drive but they also don't want to even own a car so I still don't get the autonomous vehicle thing.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Autonomous motorcycles? But why?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:54 am »
That raises a question, why would government be behind self driving vehicles?

Maybe one reason is SAFETY. Could they be made safer?

That is not an unreasonable thought when I consider some of the drivers I encounter daily or hear about  (tailgaters, lane switchers, speeders, road rage drivers, even slow pokes).

That said, I still am gonna drive as long as I can.  :happypep :happyrider One reason is I don't trust reliability of the technology to be fool proof.  :groan
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)