Author Topic: Autonomous motorcycles? But why?  (Read 168 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Autonomous motorcycles? But why?
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:25:56 am »
It would seem that many bike companies are working on autonomous motorcycles.  First Yamaha, then MV Augusta...now BMW.  Which begs the question...why?

I really don't need a bike that'll take off on a ride without me.  Maybe we could send it on important errands like in the old movies?  After a get off you could look up at your bike and yell:  "Trigger, Go get help!"

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Autonomous motorcycles? But why?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
Somehow I have to think the government is behind this push for self driving everything.Also the younger generation that really doesn't want to drive but they also don't want to even own a car so I still don't get the autonomous vehicle thing.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:54 am »
That raises a question, why would government be behind self driving vehicles?

Maybe one reason is SAFETY. Could they be made safer?

That is not an unreasonable thought when I consider some of the drivers I encounter daily or hear about  (tailgaters, lane switchers, speeders, road rage drivers, even slow pokes).

That said, I still am gonna drive as long as I can.  :happypep :happyrider One reason is I don't trust reliability of the technology to be fool proof.  :groan
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:48 pm »
I'd tend to agree that the main obvious benefit to self driving vehicles should be safety.   Once perfected they should just about eliminate most accidents which are almost always caused by a driver error of one kind or another.  There are other benefits as well.  The other obvious application will be the freedom to use a vehicle even if you don't have a drivers license.  Just think what a boon that would be for the elderly who now have such a loss of freedom and independence if health issues cause them to lose their license.  Equally, the ability of even schoolkids to use the car to get somewhere if they don't have to drive it might be a great blessing for parents.  I well remember feeling like a taxi shuttling my kids around to after school events and weekend games.  If the car could drive itself we could easily let it do the taxi work.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:07:08 am »
We trust mechanical / electrical stuff every day but I don't think I could be at ease in a car wondering when the controls would suffer a BREAKDOWN (like my computer does).  :banghead

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:53:04 am »
We trust mechanical / electrical stuff every day but I don't think I could be at ease in a car wondering when the controls would suffer a BREAKDOWN (like my computer does).  :banghead

I know what you mean but every time you fly you're spending hours and hours being flown to your destination by the autopilot.  The pilots are there to take over if needed.   
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 08:20:43 am »
Been a long time since I flew anywhere. Never liked the thought of being inside something that if something went wrong (likely gonna die).

Felt that way for 68 days on an operational submarine patrol (as a civilian).

Had that feeling of being at the bottom of an ocean in a steel coffin or worse yet, the DANG thing broke up and be eaten by fish.

Glad I did not have to go again on the next Blue Crew outing.

HAD NO CONTROL over the situation.  :banghead 

Sometiems my control ain't all that good (have had a few incidents that prove that - was lucky and suffered no consequences for my DUMB) but at least it's me messing up.