Author Topic: Up on the hill with the Bimmer  (Read 33 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Up on the hill with the Bimmer
« on: September 24, 2018, 04:11:43 pm »
Last Friday I decided that I needed to break in my new helmet.  I bit the bullet and plunked down for a new Shoei after shuddering at the prices since I came back to the US.  It's the RF-1200 and while I'm not crazy about the colour scheme it's growing on me.  At that, I liked this paint job better than all the alternatives.  It turned out to be pretty comfy even after going with a slightly tight fit thinking that as the foam settles it'll fit better than one that's a good fit when you try it on.  So, get the new Shoei and enjoy it being pretty comfy, having nice features and simply superb finish, and giving the feeling of security that comes with a premium helmet.  What's not to like?  Only one thing...the $690 price tag. (And Ian's slightly better model was even more stupid expensive!) 

Still, out enjoying my new lid got me up to the Gap for dinner at the diner there via the Foothills Parkway and I enjoyed myself.  The day was a good one with the bike working well and light late afternoon traffic on 129.  I wasn't trying to go fast but as I got into the rhythm I found myself going deeper into the turns and generally having a hell of a good time.  The couple of fellas from Ohio on Ducati streetfighters did get by me but they had to work for it.  We ended up having a nice chat when we all stopped at the overlook and parted friends.   It's the chance to meet riders from all over and enjoy the different takes on motorcycling which is always one of the things I like most about going to the Gap.  A fun day, neat people, and, oh yeah, I love the new lid.  The burger was pretty good too.

This 30 year old bike still works just fine.

A better look at the new helmet.

Sitting out front with my coffee after the meal was relaxing.  It was surprising how many guys walked up to me to ask what year that Bimmer was.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:23:46 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Up on the hill with the Bimmer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:52:56 pm »
Glad you like the new helmet. Happy to help with the investment into your noodles safety.  :34
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Up on the hill with the Bimmer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:11:30 am »
That's cool.  :happypep :happyrider
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)