Author Topic: PAULRIDES - Sep 15 Decided Post a Ride(again) - A bit of Adventure to Elk View  (Read 73 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Sort of gave up posting as figured not many reading anyway (reckon it gets boring) and posted about everyplace there is to go (including 1000s of pictures).  :pop

Decided some might be interested in the Elk View Route and the route getting there. Jackie joined in on this one after an absence (I think he has found another ride companion).  :happypep

Anyway we met up and headed north (mostly Interstate to start) for Carryville and a Pancake BKF at Scotty's. The idea was to make it to Jellico, TN (near KY border) and a quick visit with Buck at Buck's Hardware (and museum he has next door).

Then the fun part of the ride - Pine Mtn Rd (good gravel) up the MTN to near Rarity Bay I-75 Exit. We did not branch off to I-75, but continued on Pine Mtn Rd which becomes paved and is a good ride as it joins some other roads to Stinking Creek Rd.

Rather than go east on Stinking Creek to Hwy 25W, we first went west and did a loop off of Hwy 25W back to Hwy 25W. That loop has some gravel and narrow rough paved roads (think about banjo's) where we saw an incident with a dog being attacked by another dog. We broke up the fight with MC Horns. The dog being attacked ran probably 2 to 5 miles in front of us and finally got back to his home. I assume home as another dog of same breed was in that yard.

Finally, back on Hwy 25W, we headed east and stopped by Creekside Market (interesting story on the business - see pictures - to check it out as a possible BKF destination. That BKF I did on another ride by myself (give it an OK, a bit on the expansive side for a country place but popular as it is the only place around for miles). 

Once back to Hwy 25W after Creekside stop, destination was Elk View Tower. The road to the parking area is about 5 miles of uphill gravel (good condition). I think there is another route out of there, but we returned to hwy 25W by the same route. By The Way all of this is in the TN WMA called N Cumberland (was Royal Blue), so there are many trails but mostly for ATVs (4 wheelers).

That about covers the story. So post the PICTURE Story now.  Hope someone reads this as it takes a time to bother to post (another reason I sort of gave up posting every ride -- I MOSTLY JUST RIDE and like to EXPLORE)     
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:35:27 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Previous Post covers the trip to Buck's Hardware in Jellico, TN. We had a brief visit with buck (a very friendly and knowledgeable guy about the area).

Stop and visit him, tell him Scooter Trash sent you and he will know who sent you). BE SURE and check out the museum next door (FREE) and has some interesting information about the area (old newspaper clippings on the wall). Think a Box car filled with dynamite explosion on north end of town that destroyed a large part of the town and  the Troop Train Wreck cause the engineer was going to fast to make a curve.

Moving on the the better part of this ride. Call it somewhat an adventure ride - not hard trails, but roads with some character (Pine MTN Rd, a loop off of Stinking Creek, and onto a stop at Creekside Market, shown in next reply).   

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Took a break at Creekside, mainly stopped to check it out as a future BKF stop (or some might want a lunch / dinner stop). It is the only place around for some miles and seems to be popular. As I said, prices are from moderate to a bit on the high side. It is a country place (I like 'em).

There is a good story regarding the operators decision to keep the place open after a car accident killed the Mother who was the owner operator (see pictures I took of an article).

Then this final reply goes onto Elk View rd and stop at the parking area. It's about a 1/3 mile hike to the Elk View Tower and we did not do the hike. Jackie is not up to that and time was short. The tower provides a view of a cleared pasture area where Elk congregate (it has been years, maybe about 1998, since I was there and No ELK to See). Maybe try it again this fall. The last group of PHOTOS of a gravel road show the trip up the MTN to the parking area and return back down the MTN.

By the way, a group of ATV Riders showed up at Creekside Market when we did. When they left, they took a road next to the market (over a bridge at the creek). It leads to trails (ATV trails not suitable for MCs I am told).

I did check that out on another ride after a BKF at the market. The part I rode was paved and could no go further as the road was blocked by a utility crew. I did do another road (gravel) that was nice but dead ended before returning to Stinking Creek Rd at the market.  Maybe I will post part of that ride.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Good report and quite the ride!  Wow...that time you really ended up at the middle of nowhere.  (And found a road that even you judged not good for motorcycles.)

Thanks for posting that Paul.
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Most roads good for MCs. However, I'm not capable of riding some of them (need skill and to get rid of this yellow streak down my back).  :banghead