Author Topic: Foothills Parkway>>Dragon>>Cherohala Skyway  (Read 15 times)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
Foothills Parkway>>Dragon>>Cherohala Skyway
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:18:51 am »
On Monday I went on a ride with Ian and an old friend from Germany and Washington State, Deb Schlawin. It had been over 20 years since she had ridden with me but thanks to a visit to Tennessee from her usual Pacific Northwest haunts we got to do it again. We left my house and climbed Chilhowee Mountain behind my house to run the Foothills Parkway along the ridge. We then followed US129 to the Dragon and did its 311 turns getting to the gas station at Deals Gap. We stopped there to grab a bite to eat and then headed towards Robbinsville NC to get on the Cherohala Skyway which is always a delight. It put us out on 411 near Madisonville and left a 30 mile or so run back to my house. It was a good 150 mile loop that with gas and food stops took about 5 hours. Deb did well on the back of my bike but I know she must have been sore the next day after not riding at all for at least 5 years. She's a trouper! It was great fun to get to ride with Ian whose schedule usually makes it hard to find the time for us to go riding together. It was also special having an old and treasured friend like Deb back on the bike with me and I was reminded of the many rides with her in the old days. Here's some photos of the day:

The view of the Smoky Mountain National Park from the Foothills Parkway.

Ian looking dead stylish with matching leathers, gorgeous bike, and good technique.

Deb and I on the Dragon being caught by one of the several photographers along the road.

Good form by both the rider and passenger looking for the exit of the turn.

Ian's not really a big guy.  The Triumph is quite tiny.  And fast!  Did I mention it's fast?

it was a little after this that I passed a short train of slow moving Can Am Spyders towing trailers that wouldn't use the pull offs to let us by. Ian insisted on admonishing them after we made it to Deals Gap. He pointed out that if they were slow enough to be passed by an old Beemer with a passenger they needed to pull over and let others through. I didn't see the need as my passing them at the Gravity Cavity said everything needed. But I could have had fun with it I suppose. Maybe a little blunter? Like, "You were just passed by a bike and riders whose combined age is 160years! Take up something you can handle like hop-scotch...but you'll probably need walkers!"

At the gas station/diner/motel at Deals Gap.

Ian stopped at this pedestrian suspension bridge at a trailhead along US129 heading to Robbinsville. Pretty cool.

Deb reaching protectively for the cable as Ian and I find out how easy it is to get the bridge hopping by jumping up and down.

One nice thing about riding in the Smokys...its all gorgeous. The view from the little bridge.

Stopping for a break on the Cherohala Skyway. Great road...astounding scenery.

Another break nearly at the end of the road at Tellico Plains. Still gorgeous.

Pretty nice travelling companions, both biological and mechanical, eh?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:45:25 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT