Author Topic: Best Sportbike????  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Best Sportbike????
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:31 am »
Okay, what is or was the best sportbike of all time. And why.
My personal favorite is the 2001 GSX-R1000. Way ahead of it's time with unmatched power for several years and very light weight even for today's standards. 160hp with only 370lbs there were cheap and easy power adders to make the power number even more getting you some of the best power per buck there was. And I personally love the look of the 01 and 02 best looking bike imo. :3

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
Re: Best Sportbike????
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »
i always liked the VFR 1000 Interceptor , there is nothing like wringing out a v-4 , smooth is the trait i liked , but then again i am a Honda man ..lol , i liked the v-max too , but its a muscle bike ...
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »
im with curt to a degree, i like the 01-02 gsxr platform, but its hard to beat the 04-05 kawi zx10r. those things are monsters!
81 gl1100....

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
Pretty biased with the 1978 GS1000. It set the standard for all sport bikes to come. First sport bike that actually handled as it was the first with fully adjustable rear shocks (also came with adjustable air forks up front).
 Little Suzuki factoid for you all; in the mid to late 70's Suzuki gambled everything on rotary engines and the RE5 was born...and promptly died. It did not go over well at all. It was just too extreme for anyone at the time to grasp. Royally screwed Suzuki went down to the basement offices to talk to a man about a way to save the company. He suggested an in-line four but they had no plans or equipment to make one so they looked at the competition. At the time Kawasaki had dethroned Honda's CB as the ruler of the streets with the KZ so Suzuki bought one and dissected it. Anything they liked they kept and improved what they didn't and Suzuki's first in-line four was born (the GS shares several parts with the KZ and even the carb spacing is the same and carbs are interchangeable). This was unlike any other available inline four on the market though. Sure it bore a resemblance to Kawi's mill but since Suzuki knew 2-strokes very well and their plants where set up for them they went with a roller bearing crank. This made the GS engine bomb proof! Drag racers fell in love right away, you could put the motors through the ringer and they didn't care.
On the street the GS that these motors ended up in were king, nothing handled like them and they were as fast or faster than even the 1100's that Kawasaki and Yamaha were already putting out. The Suzuki GS line literally saved Suzuki and are the direct ancestors to the later GSX and GSXR. Without them Suzuki would have gone under and modern motorcycles would not be what they are today. 
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:58 am »
You are certainly right. Another tidbit on that with kawi is that they started as a, airplane company. That why they started with all 2 strokes. There were in development for several years to come out with the fastest sreet bike. The platform was originally meant to be a 750. But honda beat them to it with the cb750 four. So back to the drawing board stroking out their 750 they came out with the KZ1 (900) one my most favorite old school bikes. Which a couple years later turned into the KZ1000. 

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
I have to agree with Curt here. As SPORTBIKES go it has to be the '01-'03 GSXR 1000. Awesome bike !!

I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline Liltroy

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »
If youre asking about sportbikes, of course Im gonna say the hayabusa. it does it all, speed, handling(as long as it doesnt fall into the hands of some showboat who wants to ruin its handling with a damn 6 inch+ stretch!!), its comfortable, and then theres the wow factor everywhere you go.. I mean even the guys that claim not to like them still feel the need to compare thier bikes to it.  ::)    But if were talking about SUPERSPORTS, then I would also hafta go with the 2001 gixxer 1k for the reasons you stated earlier. It was a killer and for a killer price back in the day. EVERYBODY I knew wanted one! :worthy

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:20 am »
GSXR 750 ... end of discussion  :22
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

drop

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:22 pm »
CBR.. hands down

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:16 am »
CBR.. hands down

Really?? Soooo ... what do you ride now??? lmfao  :wahoo
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline magnecraft

• True Member
  • old clapped out street car
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:18 am »
I gotta go pretty much with Ian - like the early GS, I'm kind of a suzi guy anyway.
ETB Rocks! Don't forget this is a member supported site so kick in a few bucks when you can. $$ We want it to live long and prosper.

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »
I say SV650S (but that's because it's the only one i've ever rode)   :31

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
Re: Re: Best Sportbike????
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »
Buell, Duh! American built, reasonably priced, always riticuled and then immitaded. (can we say underslung exhaust and low center mass) not to mention that the creator whos name is plastered on every bike is still alive and building production bikes still to this day. Even though Buell motorcycle company is no more, the chains have been removed and some very exciting things are happening as we speak!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Offline magnecraft

• True Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:37 pm »
I'm slow, didn't know Buell went out, what happened with it?
When I think of the HD empire I always think fondly of my old 91 FXSTS (gone for some years now...economic reasons) - and some of the insane HD drag bikes I have seen at Bristol.
ETB Rocks! Don't forget this is a member supported site so kick in a few bucks when you can. $$ We want it to live long and prosper.

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
I dont think anyone really knows for sure why HD gave Buell MoCo the axe. But HD claims they needed to "Focus on their core market" The last bike rolled off of the line on Dec 18th 2009. HD has to provide parts and service for 7 years, but they are doing only the minimum to keep parts available. Everything seems to be on back order.

Ya it sucked when it happened, but now that EBR is here and has no reins to hold them back, amazing things are already happening.

Offline magnecraft

• True Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 05:05:43 am »
EBR?

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:36 pm »
Erik Buell Racing. www.Erikbuellracing.com

He was under a one year non-compete after HD released him shortly after the closure. He built race bikes using the 1125R under license from HD and then started their own production bike. 3 New models are due out soon. But no details have yet been released.

last year was the first year for the EBR 1190rs in AMA. They only ran the last 4 rounds i believe, and they never placed worse than 10th. This year they have made the jump to AMA Superbike and are now fielding 2 full time riders. Jeff May and Danny Eslick.

Offline WillyJ

• True Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:20 am »
This thread is all biased. Pointless..loL
(02' R6 - Yoshi exhaust - Vortex block offs - 520 conversion w/ Vortex sprockets) <--- R.I.P < ---

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
Re: Re: Re: Best Sportbike????
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 10:22:53 am »
This thread is all biased. Pointless..lol

Im not biased! Im extremely opinionated!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 10:37:52 am »
Got to go with jeff. 05 zx10
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]