Author Topic: First Order of bizness  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
First Order of bizness
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »
Ok I just noticed they made me a Mod on several of the Forum Topics. All in Favor say I. Nevermind your Vote doesnt count this time anyway LOL.

So for the first order of bizness in New bikers help.

Its not if But When you will Crash. So lets go ahead n get this part out of the way. Who is with Me ?

Come on You know you want to Volunteer. Learning to crash is actually an Art. It takes lots of practice to perfect. Sometimes you have no choice in how you crash, Sometimes you do. Kinda like choosing Betweeen a mounds and AlmondJoy.

Deciding when or if To bail off.
Slide or Tuck N roll.

There is a big Debate on whether or not you can use your Hands/Gloves to steer your Sliding Carcass across the Cheese Grater they call Asphalt.

Always remember though. Knock 3 times on the Ground to make sure you have stopped before trying to stand.

Adreneline is a Great Drug and can Hide the pain from Some Injuries for several hours.  Its a damn good thing they dont sell that stuff @ the Walmart Pharmacy.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
Re: First Order of bizness
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »
I have gone down at over 100 MPH ... it was not a fun experience but thanks to my gear the only thing I got was a bit of rash on the knees and around my sides. No broken bones to speak of although I did bruise my spine and laid in bed for 3 months. I bailed as soon as I knew I was gone and rolled (which was a bad idea IMO cause thats what bruised my spine) ... never tried to control where I was going but don't think I could have even if I wanted to. When I finally stopped rolling and learned how to breath again I got up and went looking for my bike ... about 30 seconds into my walk I started feeling more dizzy than at any other time in my life. Never did find my bike or see it again for 3 months.
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
My personnal experience Rolling is only good at low speeds. Alot of times you have no choice in how you Fly or Land. I got lucky at Tally as I landed FLAT on My Back in the grass/Mud

Look at MotoGP and other racers, Its truly an ART. I think thats why they usually Dont get Hurt Very Badly.

I have woke up in the ER the morning after a Tumble several Times. Other than a Concussion my worst Injury was losing my 2 front teeth on a Bicycle. Still not sure if it was the Telephone pole or the Concrete Sidewalk. ::)  Every other time I have ever had a tumble I usually ended up with Very Minor Injuries.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:53 pm »
Ive been off at 134mph and 125+mph. both times I slid...Didnt get more than  heavy bruising, a fifty cent piece sized rash on my right elbow and general soreness from the 134mph mishap. The 125+ incident however messed me up BAD. As I slid into a guardrail post and broke a mutitude of bones. Both of these were at a sanctioned race track. Ive been fortunate and only had 1 get off on the street. I was 24 and foolishly showing off. I busted a 2 gear wheelie across a parking lot at night. Showing off of course. and when i went to set it down, there was a big ole pothole. i took a tumble on that one. The only thing that got hurt was my plastic, clutch lever and my pride...

Crashing is an art... but wearing the proper gear helps emensly.(sp)
I always go by the saying; dress for the crash, not the ride....

My girl makes fun of me.. I have my own closet just for my multitude of riding gear.....I own so much leather and textile i had to build a special closet to hold all the weight...LOL...
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline easyr6

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:01:25 pm »
i would definately have to say slide. when you tumble its like using a dry instead of a clothes line lol

Offline oldmanjob

• True Member
  • Guzzi lover
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:31 am »
Sometimes you do not have a choice. When I totaled my Bonneville on a hairpin curve on Rt9 going to Black MT, the bike went and I landed on my left side, my shoulder armor taking the impact ( saving me from a broken collar bone) The instant I hit the ground i was flipped over on my stomach and slid sideways across the road and under the guard rail between the two posts. My Nolan N102 Modular helmet saved my face as i saw every rock and what ever else was on the road flash by my face. I received 5 broken ribs from the initial impact, but my armored jacket, Cortex pants and boots just looked like I was in a dusty enduro. My Triumph Rapter gloves took the worse hit as you can see the knuckles. I still wear them as a reminder. Back riding after a month and a half of healing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church bored thinking about my motorcycle

Offline gr33nninja

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:07 am »
damn! :13 glad you made it out some what ok. :21

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:48:57 pm »
Be glad you were lucky to miss that guard rail... 

Glad your still with us..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline SilverZZR

• True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »
So ... any other war stories between riders and pavement???
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:02 am »
sad to say i have had more than a few wars with the asphalt, only a couple when i wasn't doing something stupid , so here is the incident of the cam chain breaking at about 70 MPH , i bought a Honda , when i was riding it home i noticed the distinct sound of cam chain rattle at about 4 grand , took it home adjusted it to specs , problem solved , i rode the bike for about a year, it never made another noise ,until cruising down the highway one day , for about 1 second it sounded like you was running over a metal stob with a lawn mower , then ka-bam and the motor locked , the wheel locked and it started sliding into on coming traffic , i pulled the clutch in and nothing happened , pulled it again and again , the clutch would not break free , so plan B , i turned the wheel to the right to get it to slide straight and it just slid towards the ditch , back and forth i fought it white line to yellow line for what seemed like an eternity , while pumping the clutch lever in hope it would eventually disengage , then for some reason the front end set up in the wildest head shake i have ever experienced , slapping back and forth ripping out of my hands , busting the stop tabs and beating the tank in , that's when i said this ride is over , i managed to grab the right handlebar in my left hand , picked my left leg up slammed the bike on the asphalt , jumped up on top and i was surfing down the highway hanging 10 DUDE , as it neared the ditch i jumped off towards the road cause everyone had done stopped their cars to watch the spectacle , i landed on my feet running oddly enough , the bike was totaled ,i did not even get a scratch , the cam tensioner broke , the chain came off ,then broke and wrapped around the crank , the whole motor was toast , the case was busted , the frame was warped, gas tank smashed and when i pulled the clutch in to roll it to the truck , it wasn't stuck anymore , go figure ? i found out cam chain failure was common with that model the hard way , believable , sometimes i don't believe it happened , everyone that was there it said it was the craziest thing they had ever seen , i guess i have just been lucky .             
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline SilverZZR

• True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
Suck to hear but awesome story lol ... Some things deserve to be on youtube lol
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 12:25:03 am »
i just got lucky that one time , the other crashes were broken bones , 3rd degree burns , deep lacerations, peeled hide and soft ball sized contusions , even now i will pull to the side of the road sometimes , Beth will ask me whats wrong , i say  " i hear something " ..lol :27
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »
I have never wrecked..............:3

Just sayin......lol

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »
Better knock on wood !!!

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline oldmanjob

• True Member
  • Guzzi lover
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:06:24 am »
Better knock on wood !!!

With or without his helmet :23
Rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church bored thinking about my motorcycle

Offline CrossReaper

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »
Thankfully so far the only times I've laid the bike over i was sitting still lol. been off in the dirt on the shoulder once or twice for not leaning far enough and a bunny hop or two from that but i stayed on 2 wheels. Kind of makes me wonder what the 1st wreck is going to be like.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:26 am »
Let's hope you never find out!   :21
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Draxorian

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
Very fortunate to have only dropped a bike once at about 10mph. '79 'Zuki 425. Turning into a driveway, powdery gravel, front brake locked and bars went hard left. All I was worried about was keeping my brand new helmet off the ground so I sacrificed my palms and knees heh. God Bless everyone that's had it worse. Lord keep us all safe from ourselves and others :)

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »
my first get off was when i was 10. riding my xl100 honda down the road infront of my house. mom yelled it was time to come in and i grabbed a right hand full of brakes and over i went, in gravel, on my elbows. needless to say, mom made dad get rid of that one, lol. most rescent was a lowside on the tard at 2squares. was in the relm of 40-45mph, and rear tire just slid out. few scuffs on the bike, and some rash on my right elbow. nothing major
81 gl1100....

drop

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »
My first get off was in the folded down backseat of a chevette. Then in 98 at the gap, in jeans, tshirt and shoes

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 12:14:51 pm »
i learned the fine art of the crash in my many years of dirtbike riding (wrecking) on powerline hill (only climbed the backside once and that was plenty) and the silos over in mooresburg, and back on the flats behind coffees market, and circle park, and cosby park and behind the tire store in bean station, leadvale, and rankin bottomsover owards newport, and more cowfields than i can count, and (let me think, where else have i piled up at) oh the list goes on and on. ::)

laid my harley ridgid/raked sportster a little too deep into a turn and discovered that those cool samson pipes are excellent skid plates, somehow found myself standing on the side of my bike with the left hand grip still in my hand untill i met the curb and had a nice soft landing (flop flop flop) in a very friendly gentlemans front yard. skinned my bike and hurt nothing but my pride. had the front brake lock up on an 85 gs 550 puling out from the bottom of my driveway (again, flop) and twisted my right wrist pretty good. same spot, other direction, had the front tire of my wing scoot out from under me pulling into my driveway (dang gravel roads).

all in all ive been very, very lucky in that all of my road wrecks have been at relatively low speeds, some of the dirtbike piles, however, were not, but mud is mostly soft ;D.

the most important thing ive learned is also the hardest thing to implement, rule number: no matter what happens, dont panic!
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »
Some may think that I was serious in that post. But I was really just being a smart azz. haha sometimes I forget that there are going to be people that don't know me well enough to know I have a some bad ones. Sometimes you just can't avoid them. :( Now I hobble around most days because of these 2 wheel toys. :34

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline magnecraft

• True Member
  • old clapped out street car
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:33 am »
LESSON - my first crash was racing a 69 chevelle on my suzi 90 back when i was 16. came to a stop sign, while i looked for cars he stopped, i crashed straight into his back bumper, kissed the trunk lid in my open faced helmet. fat lips sore wrists and an egg shaped front wheel. Lesson is don't race on the street.
LESSON number 2 - fast forward to 21 years old, 72 CB750 vs left turning car. was on a one way street in the left lane stupidly riding in a guys blind spot. cager sees a parking space on the left and whips it in. I was looking ahead at a car with its back up lights on and hit the guy right in the side. Severely damaged foot (why i have a handicapped tag now. Honda lived to ride another day. Lesson - be aware of cager blind spots and get out of them.

Never been on a race track, would like to try sometime. My lessons have all been on the street.

LESSON - Being aware of where you are in reference to all the traffic around and moving to a more advantages position has saved me from a lot of crashes. Also, always be in a gear that you have plenty of torque so you can rip ahead if needed, if you always have to depend on braking or taking time to down shift you have neglected a good option. I try to keep the tach at 4500 on the Bandit, you can rip the throttle and shoot forward or in another direction immediately. And always expect the traffic around you to do something stupid.
These aren't great stories just stuff i have learned that has helped me on the street - except for the squid move i pulled last fall dumping it in a parking lot i haven't been down again.
ETB Rocks! Don't forget this is a member supported site so kick in a few bucks when you can. $$ We want it to live long and prosper.

Offline RayMan

• Squirrel
  • True Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:01 pm »
I learned that I'm not invincible the hard way as well. Was riding down a twisty back road that I was not overly familiar with, and was on my way back home. I was traveling way faster than I needed to be and came into a tight corner that got even tighter half way through. I had only been riding for maybe a month or so at that time and horribly misjudged my entry speed, came in wayyy to hot. I remember thinking oh crap oh crap, just lean it over and pray! I was very new and was not going to touch the brakes mid turn. About half way through i felt the rear tire slide out and at the moment it felt like it was all in slow motion, I remember thinking "this isn't really happening is it?" Slid off the road into somebody's yard, and when I hit the grass I went from sliding to cartwheeling. Remember seeing ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky...TREE TREE TREE...and then boom. I came to a stop when I slammed into a big old Oak tree with my lower back. I remember laying there, and the first thing I did was wiggle my fingers and my toes lol... thank god my jacket had spine protection in it.

I took off some of my gear, and went to stand up and my knee went sideways as soon as I put weight on it...and that is when I figured out I was injured. At some point during my mid yard cartwheels I managed to tear my ACL and damage the meniscus as well.

Lesson from all of this?

As a new rider, know that you are not invincible, don't get cocky. I had been riding for month or so, and thought I had gotten the hang of it...I had not. Don't ride beyond your skill level, or the abilities of your bike, your tires, or the road. Keep yourself humble or the pavement will do it for you.

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: First Order of bizness
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:26 am »
On 4 wheelers and dirt bikes I have been down a few times. Once so far on my old 636 but was slow enough that I was able to keep my little one from even leaving my back as I held her and I slid a few feet. Just some scraped and bruises. Nothing bad but was a lesson to not just think its water.lol
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:39 pm »
I have always heard there are 2 kinds of bikers.  Those that have been down and those that are going down.  I have been down multiple times and totaled one bike. I do not plan on going down again. :happyrider
Semper Fi

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 08:11:59 pm »
I've learned to crash

Offline yankee

• gear grinder
  • gear grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 08:54:07 pm »
It happens

had to wear a wrist brace for three months, but no permanent damage I guess

for sale, riding gear, slightly used:

been thru worse, I guess

Offline takohorse

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 10:03:34 am »
speedbumps... mostly friends.. but in the dark and cold, foe... not sure if i was just goin too slow for the bump, or if there was a rock or tree branch at the base of the bump, but either way, i was introduced to the pavement.. and the inside of my helmet was introduced to waaaay too many cuss words.. my hip and knee were bruised but nothing to write home about.. was my first moving downer, and hopefully my last... ha!